For the first time ever, New Belgium Brewing is bottling our two most sought-after and award-winning small batch sours – Felix Aged in Apple Whiskey Barrels and Oscar Aged in Blackberry Whiskey Barrels from our Wood Cellar Reserve series. These 100% foeder-aged sours are matured in freshly decanted fruited whiskey barrels that we receive from our friends at Leopold Bros. Distilling in Denver, Colo., one of the few independent grain-to-glass distillers.
“The overall vision with the Wood Cellar Reserve series is to finally highlight beers that we’ve been producing for years but never actually put into a bottle,” said Andrew Emerton, New Belgium Specialty Brand Manager. “Those who have been lucky enough to have experienced our golden sour, Felix, or our dark sour, Oscar, matured in Leopold Bros. whiskey barrels delivered two hours after being emptied at the distillery, know this release is incredibly special.”
The Wood Cellar Reserve series is a collection of rare, small-batch wild and sour ales expertly aged by the most award-winning sour brewery in America and represents our most ambitious efforts around our two biggest passions – wood and beer. Each Wood Cellar Reserve release contains one of the longest, continuous souring cultures in America. Each batch is bottled-conditioned and 100% naturally carbonated, allowing for the perfect texture and carbonation that our blenders intended.
Oscar Aged in Blackberry Whiskey Barrels (8.8% ABV) and Felix Aged in Apple Whiskey Barrels (8.8% ABV) are available in 375 ml and 750 ml bottles.
Texas de Brazil is partnering with The Fladgate Partnership and local chocolatiers in 22 cities to offer Port Wine & Chocolate Tasting events that help raise additional funds for the American Red Cross. The exclusive 90-minute tasting class will begin at 6:30 p.m. in Texas de Brazil’s Washington location. Class size is limited to 25 participants and $40 of the $45 ticket price will be donated to the nonprofit.
“Port is a versatile, fortified wine that offers a variety of styles fitting nicely into the sweet-wine selection trends we’re experiencing in our restaurants nationwide,” says Rodrigo Davila, Texas de Brazil’s wine and spirits director. “Guests at these events will learn why ports can be the perfect appertif, after-dinner drink, or refined accompaniment to a decadent dessert,” he adds.
Guests will be greeted with a Croft Port of Manhattan before joining the seated class led by port ambassadors who guide participants through tasting and pairing notes on several port categories and share a brief history of port wine. Local chocolatiers will also share their tasting notes providing guests with a wealth of information and new experience. Guests will enjoy passed appetizers including garlic picanha, Brazilian sausage, and chicken wrapped in bacon from the Texas de Brazil grills which complement other bites offered during the pairing session.
Featured ports and pairings will include: Fonseca BIN 27 Reserve Ruby Port with cheese; Taylor Fladgate Late Bottle Vintage Ruby Port with dark chocolate; Croft Reserve Tawny Port with dried fruits and nuts; and the Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Port with milk chocolate.
For those in the D.C. Metro Area that are skipping the beach traffic for Memorial Day, but want to spend the weekend poolside, The Embassy Row Hotel has everything from yoga, to dancing, to drink specials all weekend long.
Hotel guests and locals can enjoy an activity-filled Memorial Day Weekend that includes:
- Friday, May 26: Locals can take part in Hooky Friday from 2:00pm-7:00pm, where rooftop day passes and signature cocktails are half off (Normally $30, during this time will be $15). Later in the night from 7-11pm, visitors can dance the night away at Silent Disco. Partygoers can purchase headphones for $15 online or $20 during the event.
- Saturday, May 27:
- Workout gurus can enjoy Sunrise Yoga from 8:00am-9:00am for $19/class by registering on epicyoga.com.
- Special for Memorial Day Weekend, locals can enjoy a dance and some patriotic cocktails at The Rooftop from 3:00pm-6:00pm for Embassy Row’s Memorial Day event sponsored by Ciroc. Day passes are available for sale on The Rooftop for $30.
- Sunday, May 28: Recover from the festivities with bottomless mimosas and Bloody Marys for $35 from 11am-1pm.
- Monday, May 29: Splash into a fun and unique workout session at The Rooftop’s SplashCycle. The resistance from the water will tone bodies for an optimal workout. Those interested can register online and participate for $25/class. The classes run from 5:00pm-5:45pm, 6:00pm-6:45pm, 7:00pm-7:45pm or 8:00-8:45pm.